Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Open Wounds

"O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive..."
The Prayer of St. Francis


You know what I think one of the best feelings we can experience in this world is...
To feel not only loved but actually understood.
To be understood does not mean I know
exactly what you are going through
but to be understood is to see something more than the average person sees.
To go beyond and understand that a friend is truly struggling
or you read through the facade and can tell that something is not right.

Many of you may not think this is a great feeling ,
but just thinking about someone going deeper
and realizing without me having to explain
anything that I need something more...
I need to be nurtured in this way about this problem...
and when someone does that whether it be your
spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, teacher, friend...
when someone meets you at the place you just don't even want to go
but need to feel like someone cares that to me is something extraordinary.

I just had this happen to me hence why I'm blogging about it
but someone reached out to me with compassion, empathy and understanding
and I mean how easy would it have been for that person to just stay silent
even when they knew they really wanted to reach out to me?
The easiest thing to do is to do nothing at all.
But she didn't do nothing , she reached out to me.

Think about how God can be that person for you.
I think we all want an amazing relationship with God
and we want to feel loved and nurtured.
We long for God to just "read our minds" (which he can do)
but what I'm getting at is what good is it for US
to just sit back and let God just "read our minds"
we need to let him know our weaknesses and struggles.
I bet if I wasn't so vulnerable this friend
would not have even known to talk me about her struggles,
she wouldn't have known to be compassionate and reach out to me.
So, be vulnerable to God,  let him know everything that you can't overcome
or you just are holding in.
You may be surprised the way he lets you know that He understands.

Christ knows our crosses but he also want us to grow and learn from them
not just hang out and wallow in fear. Christ took his cross and walked to his
death staring fear dead in the face. We are not called to lay on the ground fallen under our crosses
we are called to walk with Christ, cross in hand calling out to Him for His loving touch.

We are weak, let Christ strengthen you and your relationship with Him
He longs to hear your voice and tend your wounds.
Let Christ know those wounds are there, be open to Him so He can care for you.



1 comment:

CA Rhoades said...

So insightful Jaime.. I do know that feeling you're talking about. Honestly, you've done that for me many, many times :)
I'm now inspired to let God in in the same way... thank you!